God has shown us in His word that He will supply and meet our needs, Philippians 4:19. We should pray for these things, the things that we truly need. However some people forget to thank God for what they have received, and their prayers consist almost entirely of just asking for more. Take the time to give thanks to God, in whatever we do or say and in whatever we receive. It should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17.
God is a generous God, willing to give us what we need, but this doesn’t just mean material things, God is also generous in supplying us with wisdom too. James 1:5
Scripture verses that show us that we can request what we need:
- Philippians 4:6,7 – Instead of worrying, let your requests be made known to God. “Supplication” refers to requests for needs to be “supplied.”
- James 1:5 – If any of you needs wisdom to know what you should do, you should ask God, and he will give it to you.
- Matthew 7:7-11 – God is like a loving father who gives what his children need. If we ask, we will receive.
- 1 Peter 5:7 – Cast your cares on God because He cares for you.
- James 4:2,3 – Sometimes we do not receive because we do not ask. On the other hand, God will not answer selfish requests for things we do not need.
- 1 John 5:14,15 – If we ask according to God’s will, we receive our petitions.
- 1 John 3:21,22; John 14:13-14; 15:7,16; 16:23,24,26
Scripture verses showing us that we should give thanks to God:
- Philippians 4:6,7 – In every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.
- 1 Timothy 2:1 – Prayers for others should include thanksgiving.
- Ephesians 5:20 – Give thanks to God the Father always for all things.
- 1 Thess. 5:18; Col. 4:2; 2:7; 3:17
You will notice when reading these scriptures, our early leaders, the Apostle Paul, generally gave thanks to God, alongside his requests, setting us an example to follow and imitate; 1 Corinthians 4:16; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Philippians 3:17.
God invites us to ask for what we need, but also shows that we should be grateful & thankful for what we receive.
Next: D) Some Specific Things We Should Pray About